As the name indicates, a piercing is a sharp needle-like piece going through your body. It is a way of self-expression and is a great help in understanding personalities. Every part of piercing has a different story to tell; one of such is smiley piercing
If you are planning to get one, read this blog thoroughly to know what it is, all the pros and cons, and what to expect after getting it.
What Actually Is a Smiley Piercing?
When decide for a smiley piercing, the jewelry, whether it is a stud or ring piece, goes through the flap, which is present in between the upper lip and gum called the frenulum. A frenulum is a thread like a thin piece of connector you can feel with the tongue.
The edgy part about this is the piece of jewelry is not seen by the viewer until you give a wide smile. That is why it is called as smiley piercing. Some people like to keep it mellow, and this piercing gives them the sense of animosity
Who Can Get a Smiley Piercing?
Since there are certain limits when it comes to smiley piercings, the decision of whether or not you will get one depends on your practitioner (healthcare provider) and the person responsible for piercing.
Usually, the size of your smiley piercing, be it small, is not a deciding factor. The limitations are the same for every kind. There is a chance of rejection of getting a smiley piercing because of the following factors:
- Having teeth straightening braces
- Small frenulum size
- People with gum disease.
- Those who have dental sealants or other corrective procedures
- Gum receding from line
- Enamel abrasion
Jewelry for Smiley Piercing
Gladly, you have a wide variety of options to choose from 3 of which are mentioned below:
A circular barbell is an extremely popular piece amongst people. It is so named because of a u shaped barbell and a bead at both ends. This piece is a great option for first-timers since the ring does not move about because of those beads.
Captive Bead Ring
Captive bead rings are best for new smiley piercing as their shape is round and close with a small bead. The bead has pits corresponding to the ring endpoints for a snap-fit.
This jewelry piece name is of significance because the piercing has a seamless look; the ring connects without a bead’s help.
There are multiple options available for smiley piercing pieces to choose from some of those include:
- Stainless steel surgical is hypoallergenic, and that is why workable for most people. However, irritation is inevitable during insertion.
- Surgical titanium is a suitable option for sensitive skin people to avoid any unwanted allergic reactions.
- Niobium is a non-corrosive hypoallergenic material.
- Gold – pure of 14-karat is the best healing time after getting a smiley piercing.
Smiley Piercing Cost
Usually, the charge ranges from 30 to 90 USD for smiley piercings. The range may or may not include jewel price. Make sure the place is hygienic and sterilized materials are in use since. It is important that take care because there is a chance of bacterial attack in the mouth.
The Process of Frenulum/Smiley piercing
After getting done with the initial screening, the actual process will start. The piercing itself is brief and lasts for about some minutes only. Here is how it is done:
- You will use an antibacterial mouthwash for rinsing. Thoroughly swish and swirl, then spit.
- After your mouth is all washed up, your piercer will pull the upper lip and fix in a way to expose the frenulum.
- The frenulum is finally pierced.
- Then the jewelry is set inside the hole and screwed you may or may not require a bead for it.
Does The Process Of Smiley Piercing Hurt?
It is no hidden truth that if something sharp goes in your mouth, it will hurt; however, it depends on the area as well. Having said that, you must know, that more muscular will have less pain. Your frenulum tissue is sensitive and thin inside the lip but sturdy enough to support the piercing ring.
Your pain threshold or tolerance is also a factor. If it is low, you will suffer from more pain during mouth piercings. But, this issue only lasts for a few seconds.
Risk Factors Related To Piercing
The area for smiley piercings is quite sensitive and requires a lot of aftercare. If not handled, it can lead to an infection. Here are a few complications in a list form that can arise are:
- Enamel Erosion is common because large beads cause constant friction, adversely affecting the teeth.
- Gum Damage is inevitable because piercing can lead to gum recession with time. This happens when your smiley piercing ring is too high on the gum line.
- Your mouth is a pit of bacteria because of constant eating or drinking. And because of that there, you may get an infection at the piercing.
- The human body has its defense mechanism; it may reject your jewelry piece and grow the tissue at the piercing site, propelling the ring out.
What Is The Healing Time?
Most of the time, dermal piercings require around 4 to 10 weeks to adequately healing the wound. However, this timeline is dependent on appropriate aftercare. In case of poor cleaning and eating habits after the smiley piercing process, healing time increases.
During the initial time, first few weeks, you will experience a considerate amount of along with swelling in your smiley piercing site.
However, the symptoms ease off gradually as the healing continues, and pain with swelling subside on their own. But, in case your site starts oozing blood or pus visit your practitioner immediately.
Ways To Clean A Smiley Piercing
Proper after care is of utmost importance in order for the smiley piercing to be without complications.
- Make a saline salt solution and cleanse your mouth with it. Just swish swirl and spit, once or twice a day.
- It is very important to rinse your mouth with fresh water after taking meals.
- Brush and floss adequately after taking meals.
- Switch from regular mint toothpastes to normal ones.
- Choose alcohol free mouthwash instead.
- Do not touch or play with your piercings in the first few weeks.
- Do not drink or smoke as it is injurious to health and elevates healing time.
- Avoid eating foods that are high in spice and acid levels.
- Avoid high temperature food or beverage.
- Eat soft food instead of crunchy ones.
Monitor your smiley Piercing
You must know that swelling and redness is common and will be seen; that is normal. However other things to look out for are:
- Redness moving in areas from the piercing site
- High consistent pain
- Huge swelling bump
- Yellow or green pus discharge
- Bad odor
In case of rejection, these will be the signs:
- Be it a ring or stud displacing from its original site.
- The jewel piece hanging from the frenulum tissue.
- Ring or other piece popping out.
Does a Healed Piercing last an Entire Lifetime?
If you take good care, it lasts for a longer time. However, we can’t say that it lasts a lifetime. They may close early. Moreover, frenulum is soft and delicate so smiley piercing does not last long compared to other body parts.
How Do I Change My Jewelry?
Appropriate healing takes about 3 months, and it is best that you do not try changing it before that. Always ask your professional and piercer about the changing tips dos and don’ts.
- Make a saltwater solution with or without a sea salt and swish swirl and spit.
- Always clean your hands with an antibacterial bar or hand washing liquid soap before touching the site.
- Meticulously with full care unscrew your jewelry.
- Take your jewelry piece out and gently screw the new one in its place, do not forget about beading if there is any.
- Rinse your mouth again with first sea salt water and then fresh.
Even after getting the piercing done, you can change your mind due to any reason in between the healing process to. If you don’t feel comfortable or like it, get rid of it.
Make sure that you look at the pros and cons of doing so in that particular stage of healing. After removing it mid-healing, clean and tidy the area all the time. However, we advise you to wait it out until the wound heals for closing it off.